Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 15 min
1 C All-purpose flour
1/2 C Cornmeal
½ C Breadcrumbs
2 Eggs (optional)
1 T Garlic powder
1 t Cayenne
1 C Milk
2 t Salt
1/2 t Freshly ground black pepper
4 Large unripe green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices, ends removed
1/2 C Vegetable oil
1 T unsalted butter
Hot pepper sauce, for serving
Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs and milk until well combined.
- Dip the tomatoes in the egg mixture and then dredge them in the cornmeal mixture, coating both sides well.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat with the oil.
- When the oil is hot, pan-fry the tomatoes (in batches if necessary) until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Carefully remove the tomatoes and drain on paper towels.
Serve hot on a plate with hot pepper sauce and lemon on the side.