Indian Kidney Beans Recipe (Rajmah)
Serves: 2-4| Prep Time: 10 min| Cook Time: 15 min
2 Cans Kidney Beans, Rinsed
2 C Water
2 Tbs Tomato Paste
1 Serrano Chili or 1 tsp Red Pepper
4 Garlic Cloves, chopped
1/2 Onion, chopped
2 Tbs Vegetable Oil
4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Dried Cilantro or 1/4 C Fresh Cilantro
- Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a deep skillet on medium high heat.
- Add Chopped Garlic cloves and Chopped half onion to the oil.
- When Onions and garlic start to turn brown, add 1 green Serrano chili or 1 teaspoon of red pepper (quantities can be tweaked depending on the desired level of hotness), 4 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, and 1 teaspoon of Garam Masala.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes and then add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.
- Cook for another 3 minute and add 2 cups of water and 2 cans of rinsed kidney beans. You can control the amount of water depending on how thick or runny you like your kidney beans.
- Stir the contents in the skillet and cover it for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the skillet and add dried or fresh cilantro. Mix the contents for few seconds and turn off the heat when the water based curry thickens. The beans are ready. Let the beans cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve hot on a plate with rice.