Pressed Veggie Sandwich Recipe
Serves: 8 | Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
2 round or oval loaves country bread (1 pound each), split and hollowed
1 jar (12 ounces) oil-packed roasted red peppers
12 ounces pepper jack cheese, thinly sliced
8 White Mushrooms
1 Tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 Avocado, sliced
½ cup Olives, sliced
2 tablespoon Olive oil
2 bunches Arugula or Lettuce, (about 6 ounces each), washed and thick stems removed
2 teaspoon Black Pepper
2 teaspoon Salt
- Brush insides of halved bread loaves with olive oil.
- Layer bottom bread halves with roasted peppers, and then layer cheese on top.
- Heat a non stick pan with some olive oil. Pan Fry Onions and Mushrooms until they are golden brown and then layer them evenly on top of cheese.
- On top of Onions and Mushrooms, layer Cheese, Tomatoes, Olives and Avocados.
- Brush some olive oil on Avocados.
- Sprinkle some Salt and Pepper.
- Layer Arugula on top of all the ingredients.
- Wrap each sandwich tightly with plastic, and press.
- Lay wrapped sandwiches on a baking sheet. Position another baking sheet on top, and weight with heavy canned goods or a large skillet. Let stand for one hour, pressing down occasionally with hands.
- Serve or Refrigerate wrapped sandwiches until ready to serve, up to 1 day.
Cut into wedges and serve with chips and drink of choice.